This is why volunteers with the Colorado Visiting Nurse Association can help ease the daily loneliness and enrich the lives of those we serve.
- Must be 18 years old
- Commit to at least one year of service – two to three times per month
- Fill out an application and go through an interview
- Pass a background check and Colorado Adult Protective Services screening (CAPS) ($30 fee to cover cost of background check. Scholarships available upon request.)
- Attend volunteer orientation and complete training with Colorado Visiting Nurse Association
- Must be fully COVID Vaccinated
- Flu Shot during season
- Complete a 2-part TB test (for Hospice Direct Patient Volunteers)
- Participate in 12 hours of annual continuing education (Hospice Volunteers)
Hospice Volunteer Opportunities
Patient Care/Respite Volunteers
Patient Care and Respite Volunteers are a critical part of our hospice team. These volunteers provide companionship visits to patients with life-limiting illnesses and respite for caregivers, i.e., reminiscing with the client, helping family and friends, reading, addressing death and dying issues, and help with household tasks.
Volunteers provide companion visits to bereaved family members or help with follow-up phone calls. Qualified volunteers may provide Grief Group Facilitation support. Additional training may be required.
Volunteers help with filing, copying, data entry, organizing bulk mailings, answering phones and relaying messages. Other miscellaneous administrative tasks as needed. Weekly time commitment is preferred for 2-3 hours.
Translation and Interpretation
Periodically, our staff finds themselves “Lost in Translation” which is when having volunteers available to translate orally or create written documents would be helpful. Our most needed languages are as follows: Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, or Cantonese. These are opportunities on an as-needed basis which include interpreting for nurses and patients in-person or over the phone.
Handy Person Volunteer
Helps with small projects like changing a light bulb or replacing smoke detector batteries, to larger jobs like installing bathroom grab bars and wheelchair ramps. Assignments are given on an as needed basis; usually once a month.
Community Wellness Volunteer Opportunities
Community Wellness Volunteers
Community Wellness and Senior Wellness volunteers are an important piece of Colorado VNA’s mission by supporting about 80 different clinics around Metro Denver. Wellness volunteers welcome community members to our clinics and support our nurses by setting appointments, completing registration forms, organizing charts, and collecting payment for any needed services.
To be a wellness volunteer, one needs to be 18 years of age or older, complete our general orientation and background check, and on-the-job training at the clinic.
Flu Shot Clinics (September to December)
Volunteers play an important role in seasonal flu clinics, October – December. Clinic volunteers are trained in community and workplace clinic processes, including paperwork and customer relations. They assist nurses by distributing and explaining consent forms and insurance options to clients. Clinic locations and times vary and volunteer hours will be scheduled according to the volunteer’s availability.
Volunteer Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Commitment of 6 months to 1 year with volunteer frequency of at least 2-3 times a month
- Dedication to our mission and values, patient, and family confidentiality and safety
- Submit a new volunteer application
- Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator for an initial interview
- Attend a 1-day new volunteer orientation
- Attend any additional training required for specific positions
- Pass a background check
- Pass the Colorado Adult Protective Services Screening
- Complete a 2-part TB test
- Pass a drug screening test
- Flu shot required during flu season
- Provide a current driver’s license and proof of auto insurance
- Participate in 20 hours of annual continuing education
Thank you for inquiring to be a part of the Halcyon Hospice & Palliative Care Volunteer Team. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 statewide restrictions, we are not currently accepting applications at this time. We appreciate you taking time to fill out your application, however, and we will be in touch once operations resume.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please call or email to get started:
Or you can submit your volunteer application online.